[clug-talk] Shaw Xtreme-I Internet Service

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Tue Mar 29 10:31:26 PST 2005

Comparing both nearly side by side (my neighbour has extreme) my _personal_
observations are this:

Regular Shaw high speed has a slight advantage in downloading, at least in the
SE of Calgary.  I have noticed wild speed differences in various parts of town
using my laptop.

Extreme has a definite edge in uploading.

Extreme has an edge in latency.  My neighbour is a gamer and his
experience was
that Shaw Extreme performed more consistently with respect to latency.  Using
mtr the extreme service did not seem to have the same number nor the same
severity of latency spikes on the regular shaw service

My understanding was that the newer modems gave them (Shaw) more precise
bandwidth monitoring.  Also, when I last spoke to a tech on the phone at shaw,
he "suggested" that I keep my monthly bandwidth usage below 50 gigs.

These are just my personal, direct observations.  As a result, your
mileage may
vary.

Cheers.
Gustin