[clug-talk] Ethereal

Michael Gale michael.gale at bluesuperman.com
Sun Mar 27 18:14:37 PST 2005

Hello,

	Well for example if you wanted to monitor the traffic on a Linux box
(router maybe) I would use tcpdump and then use ethereal to view the
traffic.

tcpdump -n -i eth0 -w /tmp/testfile -s 9999 port 110 and host X.X.X.X

-n - do not try and resolve the domain name
-i - interface
-w - write data to file
-s - snap length (length of packet to capture)

Michael.