[clug-talk] [Off-Topic] Windows longhorn to feature a new kernel?

graham gdmonk at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 27 09:44:29 PST 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 00:26, Travis Rousseau wrote:
> At
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2005.asp#roadmap
> under next generation platform it says:
> One thing users should be aware of is that Longhorn will include a new
> kernel and will thus not offer the same level of compatibility with
> legacy 16-bit and 32-bit code that Windows XP does today.

This should be interesting,  They expect Virtual PC 2007 to "broaden"
corporations compatibility options. I wonder how it will affect business's
unwillingness to migrate away from MS when they HAVE to migrate from
XP to Longhorn AND change at least some of their programs? Of course
they could just stay with XP and continue to pay the yearly licensing fees.

> Now I think this is well needed for windows, BUT.....
> I cant wait to see what linux and OSS has by the time Windows Longhorn
> comes out!
>
> Travis R.

"What hasn't changed is the May 2006 release date: While internal discussions
at Microsoft recently questioned whether August 2006 would be more viable,
the word has come down from on high: May 2006 is non-negotiable."

Am I the only one who thinks that

1. trying to meet a deadline that at least some of their staff think is
unreasonable will result in the usual dog's breakfast at the end of the death
march?
2.They won't actually make it?

Graham