[clug-talk] Apache 2 and Tomcat 5 help?

Jamie Furtner jamie at furtner.ca
Sun Mar 27 06:38:06 PST 2005

On Sat, March 26, 2005 10:40 am, Shawn said:
> I'm having problems getting Apache setup to work with Tomcat.  I'm able
> to load jsp files if they are in the tomcat webapps directory, but not if
> they are in a user's public_html directory.  mod_jk2 is installed, and
> seems to be working - I'm getting a tomcat 404 page, not the usual Apache
> 404 page, yet
> the file DOES exist.  Opening a .html file in the same folder works fine.
> (i.e. http://localhost/~sgrover/test.jsp - causes a tomcat 404 page to
> appear, http://localhost/~sgrover/test.html works fine.)

I'm a little rusty with my Tomcat / Apache skills (haven't touched Tomcat
for a while), but here's what I recall - you're either going to have to
create contexts for every user you want able to run JSPs because Tomcat
doesn't know that it's able to run those JSPs, or configure a tomcat
Listener as directed in the "User Web Applications" section of
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html so that
Tomcat can dynamically create contexts on the fly for user's web apps.

Jamie

Jamie Furtner jamie at furtner.ca
"The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that
 intelligence has its limits."
  --unknown