[clug-talk] Suggestions?

Martin Glazer linux at glazer.ca
Wed Mar 23 22:18:12 PST 2005

Thanks for everyones responses - there are a lot of great points that I can
use in the presentation.

My audience is typically going to be the single person company on a tight
budget just starting off, most likely a pretty computer illiterate end user
familiar with Windows applications.

Obviously the biggest attraction (in this case) to using FLOSS is the cost -
this will not be the hard sell.

The bigger challenge is in terms of support or lack thereof (perceived) and
familiarity with existing applications.

From the support perspective I think it is more a comfort level of knowing
that there is this large corporation who can provide one with answers if need
be (even though I've never known anybody to actually call Microsoft for
support). Who does one call for OpenOffice, for example? If I had a problem
with Word, I can always call any number of people for help, just because that
is the dominant application and hence more people are familiar with it.
As I mentioned, I believe this is more of a perceived issue than an actual
one.

The second challenge is one of familiarity - people do not like change. They
have used a particular application, know how to accomplish required tasks
with it and are comfortable. By using something new, one is asking them to
move out of their comfort zone. This may be OK if one can get help when
needed, but then this leads back to the support issue.

Combined, I believe these are the biggest hurdles to introducing FLOSS.

Thanks once again

Martin