[clug-talk] Suggestions?

Dwayne C. Litzenberger dlitz9734 at dlitz.net
Wed Mar 23 17:39:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:53:00AM -0700, Trever Miller wrote:

>[but it does do at least some portion of what you need it to do]
[snip]
>>or maybe you just can't afford it and you go out of business.
>
>A little extreme. Businesses generally don't take kindly to scare
>tactics.

I guess I haven't made my point as clearly as I could have.  I'm absolutely
not suggesting the use of scare tactics, or even trying to be particularly
persuasive toward using free software.

My statement is simply that *if* you are in a position where you *need* to
have changes made to some closed, proprietary program, and your vendor is
not willing to offer you those changes at a reasonable price, then your
costs to get the changes you need will probably skyrocket.  With free
software, changes have a market price that is closely related to their
complexity, rather than to the business decisions of a single vendor.

As you stated, some businesses may never *need* to have changes made, or
their needs may always be met by proprietary software vendors.  If that is
the case, then proprietary software might be good enough or even better
than currently-available free software.  If you think you might depend on
the flexibility of your IT infrastructure, then freedom might be important
to your bottom line.

Even though people typically see "freedom" as being an idealistic goal, it
can have a real impact on your bottom line.

Later,

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>

This message contains an OpenPGP/MIME signature, which can be used to verify
its authenticity.  If the message itself appears as an attachment, you are
probably using using a broken mail program, such as Microsoft Outlook Express.