[clug-talk] Suggestions?

Trever Miller trever at cyberdex.ca
Wed Mar 23 08:03:53 PST 2005

sgrover at open2space.com wrote:
> Related to Sheridan's post, I'm in the middle of a cost analysis for my own
> networks.  I'm curious to see what the price would be if I were using
> commercial products (aka non-open source).
>
> That said, there are a couple of important points to be made here.
> The first is the so called training time.  This is a non-issue (IMO) because
> it doesn't matter if you are dealing with proprietary or open source software
> - there will be a learning curve, and the time needed will be similar for ANY
> similar technology (assuming a starting point from zero knowledge).  That
> said, once you have learned one tool, then all other similar tools should be
> a heart beat to learn - afterall, you should already understand the concepts
> involved, if not the particular methods/syntax for a different tool.  If you
> don't then you haven't really learned the tool or it's environment(s).

I'll agree with just about everything Shawn wrote in his detailed post.
Well done. One thing though that I take issue with is the bit about
training being a non issue.

There's two types of people when it comes to training. Those that are
curious, have a clue, and want to poke at things "just because" to learn
more, for their own edification and want to do their job
better/faster/whatever.

The other type barely know up from down, don't care that a computer even
needs to be plugged in, and just want to do their job with a minimal
amount of thinking - at least as far as technology interaction goes.
They may be very passionate and good at whatever field they are in, care
about the business and it's customers, goals, etc.. but when it comes to
technology used to facilitate that, they want it to just be a hammer,
just pick it up and use it, no thinking involved.

I would suggest that in some offices, the second type of person is more
prevalent, perhaps 80% of the staff. And there's nothing wrong with
that, you just have to realize that they exist and that their world view
must be taken into consideration when you are about to make any changes
to their daily worklives. Something as simple as changing from one type
of word processor or browser to another can leave some of them flapping
like a fish on the dock.

trever at cyberdex.ca
Cyberdex Systems Consulting Corp.
(403) 607-4925