[clug-talk] Apache and mod_rewrite tips?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue Mar 15 20:52:14 PST 2005

Thanks to all who helped out.  I was able to get this running properly.

I gave in on one issue which ended up resolving the problem for me.  Instead
of using http://myapp.myorg.com, I ended up doing
http://myapp.myorg.com/myapp (note the trailing directory).  Then I simply
needed a ProxyPass to redirect to the correct server and tweak my app to use
the external server name internally.  We initially didn't want to use the
trailing directory, but management has changed it's mind and feel that doing
so buys us more flexibility with regards to other apps they want to make
available.  (Such as AutoDesk's MapGuide).

So, out of all that, I was able to just remove the rewrite rules I had been
trying and only use the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse.  (and make sure that
each machine involved knew where to find the desired server).

Thanks again for all the help.

Shawn