[clug-talk] Help with Nvidia and Suse?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sun Mar 13 21:56:05 PST 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 18:43, Marcel A. Lecker wrote:
> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run  ..without flags?
>
> Also what are your permissions like on:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run?
>
> I usually chmod them to 700 for good measure.
>
> Any of that help?
>
> Marcel

No luck.  Running NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run without flags results in
not being able to find the kernel source, so I added the --kernel-source-path
parameter, and watched the system lock up when the compile was 100% complete.

I also did a chmod 700 on the file which made no difference.  When I checked
ownership, th 7167 version of the file was owned by root:root, and the
earlier version was owned by sgrover:users.  Seeing as I have seen the
earlier version work, I tried to chown th 7167 version to sgrover:users - no
difference.  I tell you, this is VERY frustrating - so much so that I've
taken to getting KDE compiled on Gentoo (on a spare drive).  If that works
properly, I'll probably just move away from Suse (at least until a fresh
install).

So, I'm still looking for a solution.  Thanks for the suggestions though.