[clug-talk] Linux C++ programming :)

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sun Mar 13 21:30:32 PST 2005

A couple of things to help you out...

First, on the Programming Special Interest Group (PROGSIG) mailing list, we
have a few people (myself included) also teaching themselves C/C++.  You
might want to sign up on that list to bounce some ideas around.  You can sign
up for the list at http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-progsig_clug.ca.

Second, the Teach Yourself C++ book is getting a little dated (I first saw the
book about 5 years ago).  That's not to say the info in it isn't still valid,
just that there might be newer resources that will also cover more recent
technologies (xml/soap, etc.).  If you are really interested in Teach
Yourself C++, I have seen an online version of it at no charge.

There are a number of online resources available for learning a new
programming language.  One such resource that has been posted to the list in
the past is Tech Books For Free (http://techbooksforfree.com/).  You can also
find the Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days book there.

There is also Thinking in C++
(http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html) - the author (Bruce
Eckel) publishes his books to his website (again, no charge), and also has
Thinking in Java.

Hope this helps get you started.

Shawn