[clug-talk] Linux C++ programming :)

Michael Gale michael.gale at bluesuperman.com
Sun Mar 13 16:46:50 PST 2005

Hello,

	I am trying to learn C++ programming to create Linux apps.

I consider my self a System Admin first but am finding that some times
being able to create simple little apps would ease my job and help me
along the way.

I consider my self very proficient in bash and a novice in perl. I have
been reading "How to Program C++" by Deitel & Deitel. It is an excellent
book. But I am finding it difficult to start, the book is very thorough
and detailed so perhaps it is to detailed for a beginner. Plus it does
not cover anything out side the C++ ANSI standard. Like IDE's or using
g++ from the command line.

I was thinking that maybe I should pick up something like "Teach
Yourself C++ Programming for Linux in 21 Days" by SAMS to give me a kick
start and then finish reading the "How to Program C++" book, plus it
will be a great reference.

So two questions :)

1. Has any one here read the "Teach Yourself C++ Programming for Linux
in 21 Days" book and if so is it any good. Do I require a Window's box
to use any example or provided apps ?

2. Would it be worth the $20 bucks or should I just stick with my
current book.

Thanks ..

Michael.