[clug-talk] SSH trick

Robert Campbell rob at techcom.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 5 13:33:30 PST 2005

I regularly connect to the corporate vpn using this

Fedora core 1
   Vwmware 4.5.2
      - Windows 98 (cuz it's lightweight compared to the others)
           - Secure Remote
           - Cygwin/X
                - fvwm
                - ssh

once I startup vmware, and fvwm, I am back in the real world
I simply do an ssh to the host that I want to connect to, and X is
automatically forwarded back......

It's slow on my shaw connection over secure-remote/win98/vmware/fc1
install, but still useable for industry leading seismic modelling and
interpretation software, debugging, xemacs and all that real developer
stuff.

Just my $0.02 worth for anybody thinking about it.