[clug-talk] Red Hat system admin experience vs slackware / debian experience

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Wed Mar 2 16:32:24 PST 2005

Michael Gale wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I am wondering how a career in system admin with slackware or debian
> would compare with being a system admin in a RH only network ?

The basics are the same but to properly administer a RedHat box there
are certain ways you should do things. IE don't install with make
install but use  rpms. If you want a custom build, make an srpm to do
it. It's trival to create a new kernel config and rebuild the kernel
rpm. Nothing worse than fixing a redhat box where people have installed
packages straight from source. If you do install from source you should
always install to /usr/local so not to mess up installed rpms.

You need to learn how to use tools like chkconfig and service. Learning
how to properly configure networks and stuff using the /etc/sysconfig/
directory scripts.  Studying for the LPI or RedHat certifications will
give you a good overview.

> Would there be much difference ?

Well Slackware using BSD initscript as opposed to Sys-V Init Scripts. It
takes more time to setup a slackware box because it doesn't have much in
the way of hardware detection in the installer.

Setup properly Redhat is easier to use when supporting clients. Also
it's easier for a client to get support for than Slackware.

> I have only used RH for desktops a few times and usually go back to
> slackware.

I use RedHat and Fedora because I need to support the products. It's
easier to support a product you use yourself.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Sales Manager, Hard Data Ltd, http://www.harddata.com/
Phone: 01-780-456-9771     Fax: 01-780-456-9772