[clug-talk] Linux distro for older laptop?

Marcel A. Lecker volvox at telusplanet.net
Mon Jan 31 21:07:58 PST 2005

Hey Shawn!

I always had the best luck with SuSE for just plain getting stuff to
work. However, it will usually cost you a performance hit, even if you
trim it down to the bare minimum.

VidaLinux is set up for higher end systems (i686+) if memory serves.
That might explain your problems.

I have found the Knoppix is usually quite responsive when loaded on the
hd (via the knx-hdinstall command) and it plays nice with wireless etc.

Neils' suggestion about Mepis is likely a good one. I haven't tried it
but have heard good things. I'd certainly give it a shot.

Recently I've tried Libranet:
http://www.libranet.com/
And have quite enjoyed it. It is a little soft WRT wireless support, but
is otherwise a strong Debian based performer and perky on lighter
equipment.

My favorite for quick and easy(er) light-weight installs is VectorLinux:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/
...but it is based on Slack, which will make maintenance a bit onerous.
Plenty perky though as it is put together with an eye to breathing life
into old hardware. They have two versions. Light and SOHO. SOHO 5 is in
the later stages of testing (RC-2). Could be nice. Thier RC-2 didn't
include PCMCIA so I was a little disappointed, but I suspect they're
still working on it. The older versions are pretty dated so I'm looking
forward to this one.

...For the truely adventurous there's this one:
http://www.vum.at/vum-box/ It seems like it hasn't been maintained for a
bit. It was originally set up as a light-weight OS for all those
486s/P1s headed to the 2nd/3rd world.

Now this is bordering on heresy for a Linux list, but there's a live BSD
disk with installer called FreeSBIE
http://www.freesbie.org/
I haven't tried it yet on a laptop, but it is certainly a nice effort on
the part of the BSD camp.

And yes there's always Gentoo ...if you have the time.

Marcel