[clug-talk] Linux distro for older laptop?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Jan 29 18:04:19 PST 2005

I'm looking for a decent distro to put onto an older laptop (Acer TravelMate
512DX), with only a 4GB drive.  The target system will be used for software
development, so will need a development environment.  It should also have a
graphical interface, but doesn't strictly need KDE or Gnome (though the base
files might be needed for some of the development tools - KDevelop for
instance).  The disto should be pretty lean, but still robust enough to
handle the above tasks.

Thus far, we've tried Suse 9.2, VidaLinux (install failed), and Ubuntu (Live
CD - networking problems with it).  We'll keep trying things over the
weekend, but maybe someone will have suggestions for another disto well
suited for this laptop?  (NOTE:  This is NOT a call for a distro war..
<grins>)

Thanks for any ideas.