[clug-talk] OT: Computer Power Issues

Peter Carless pcarless at carless.com
Fri Jan 28 09:32:01 PST 2005

Hi Jason,
This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if the voltage selector
switch on the power supply is set for 115v and not 220 volt.
I once put together a machine with a brand new case and power supply. The
computer booted up, but acted really flakey, after trying quite a few
things to no avail I discovered that the power supply was set for 220
volts. Switching to 115 volts cured all the problems.

Before this experience I would have assumed that the power supply would not
work at all if the switch was set to the incorrect voltage, but apparently
this is not the case.

I admit that this is a very long shot, but it will only take a few seconds
to check. The voltage selector switch is usually located on the back of the
power supply and you should not even have to crack the computer case to
check it

Peter