[clug-talk] Best distro for

Niels Voll nvoll at voho.com
Mon Jan 24 11:58:16 PST 2005

* if I recall correctly, for some distro (I think it was SuSE 9.x), I
had troubles running the installer when the screen resolution was more
than 1024x768.. Once I brought it down to that size, it seemed to start
working, and I could change the resolution after the install.

* some distro(s) didn't boot for me when I had a certain file system
(may have been ReiserFS based software RAID 0 already sitting on hard
disk. (It may have been one or more of the Debian offshoots (Ubuntu
and/or Mepis, which complained about that).

* you can get Promise RAID drivers to load of CD ROM in SuSE and Fedora
(rather than Floppy) - HOWEVER: the Promise RAID drivers only seem to
work with very specific versions of SuSE and Red Hat. You may be better
off, to stay with software RAID on your hardware. The Linux support of
Promise has been a long standing battle;  too bad, since their hardware
is often easier / cheaper to get.

...Niels