[clug-talk] books and programming

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Jan 22 02:35:19 PST 2005

Hi Michael,

It would seem to me that you may be setting yourself a goal that is too far
beyond your current skills (apologies if I'm wrong).  My recommendation is to
set yourself a number of smaller goals, before tackling inter-application
type coding.  You should learn how to program in C/C++ (if that's your
language of choice), and be comfortable enough with it to be able to
read/understand other people's code as well as write your own.  These should
be what your short term goals help you focus on.

Of course, in the long(er) term, you do have a specific goal in mind and you
should work towards that goal.  But I feel that if you only learn what you
need to achieve that single goal, then you'll have more problems.  If you can
round out your understanding of coding, and the other "soft" skills that go
with coding (like debugging, system design, coding styles, etc.) you'll be
better prepared to deal with the problems that will inevitably occur.  Not to
mention that in the process, you may find a better solution to your specific
needs.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to hold you back.  On the contrary, I whole
heartedly encourage anyone to take up coding.  But, I also believe in a
practical approach - someone just learning to program probably shouldn't be
trying to build an operating system, or other such complicated
systems/applications.  But once that same person has some experience under
their belts, a complex system is much more feasible.

So, for now, keep your specific goal (related to Open Office) in the back of
your mind, and follow the lessons in the books.  Make sure you understand
what the books are trying to teach you, before moving on.  At the end of the
books/lessons, take another look at your goal and judge if you are ready to
try it out yet.  If not, find another book/lesson/project that will help get
you closer to that goal....

With regards to looking at source code and getting a C compiler running:
Source code is nothing more than a text file.  Use your favorite text editor
to look at it.  For the compiler, use your Linux distribution's install
method to install GCC compiler, make (which is a program), glibc (which is a
library used by C/C++, and patch (another program).  These tools form the
basis of the development environment (hopefully I got them all... going from
memory).  There are other tools to install but they more or less depend on
personal preference (though I'd probably recommend installing gdb for
debugging purposes).

HTH

Shawn