[clug-talk] Enterprise Linux?

Travis Rousseau unleashed at unleashedgamers.com
Thu Jan 20 21:36:58 PST 2005

Niels Voll wrote:
> One of the differences tends to be the guaranteed length of updates for
> a particular release. If I recall correctly, the length of time from
> original release of a particular version to the ending of update patches
> is around 5 years for the major distro's.
This is a big thing too! Fedora Core ends patches after a year way too
quick i think even for desktops!

> For Red Hat (RHEL) a number of clones have evolved, which essentially
> give you that long term update cycle, but without the price tag of RHEL.
> A couple of those are
>
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/
> http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
Yeah whitebox is a good one too! (I just dont really like RPM based distros)

> There's at least one more for RHEL, but the name escapes me at the moment.
>
> I don't know if there a similar freebie clones for SuSE/Novell
> Enterprise - never heard of any so far ...

Some times Novell sends out 30 day demos of they're products to try.
(But not to keep :P )
> Overall the enterprise editions can be viewed as more money to the
> vendor for superior hand holding. Going without probably means a bit
> more money (i.e. additional hours) to a consultant for hand holding.
> How's that for an ethical dilemma / conflict of interest for a
> consultant to advise on that very issue?
This is very true to!

[snip]

Travis R.