[clug-talk] Query - Reading OOo/SO Files Formats

Dany Allard dany.allard at trema.com
Wed Jan 19 08:27:16 PST 2005

If I understand the question correctly, he would be looking for a
lightweight way of reading OOo files.
If he only has a 16Meg USB key installing OO is probably not an option.
I know this sounds bad, but I usually save the file in .doc format,
since both MS and OO can open the files I can open them anywhere (yes
some of the formatting may be affected).

Later

 Dany Allard

Kevin Anderson wrote:

>Why wouldn't you just install OO.  That has the viewer, editing capabilities,
>and it's free.  For what purpose would there also be a viewer?
>
>Kev.
>
>On Tuesday 18 January 2005 21:55, Cameron Nikitiuk wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Was sitting around wondering if there are file viewers available for
>>OpenOffice.org/StarOffice file formats.  I am thinking of something similar
>>to Microsoft's offering of WOrd, Excell & PowerPoint readers that will
>>allow to you to view and print but not edit the files.
>>
>>Ideally I would mind the extra functionality of being able to edit the file
>>as well.  In the few minutes of ggogling I did I couldn;t really find much
>>but I thought I remembered something about AbiWord.  I went to
>>abisource.com and sure enough there appears to be a plug-in for OOo files
>>and for SO 5.x files.  ANyone have experience with these?  Better
>>suggestions?
>>
>>I am looking for something that I could potentially load on a USB key.  I
>>know abiword can fit on a key and will run within a windows environment so
>>that is an option, but I don't want to limit myself.
>>
>>Also, am looking for a spreadsheet and presentation program similar to
>>aboword that would ideally fi on a usb key and offering the same type of
>>funtionality I was refering to above.
>>
>>My thinking with this is that if people knoew of the file viewers available
>>for OOo and SO, then that might aid in the migration to the those products.
>>If you were able to offer up OOo/SO files from your website but also
>>provide people with the readers, then people might think twice about
>>"choosing" or feeling forced to purchase MS office.
>>
>>Sorry for the rambling...is getting late and I am tired.. and under the
>>weather!! :-(
>>
>>Cameron

>>**Please remove these lines when replying

>**Please remove these lines when replying

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you received it in error, please let us know and delete the message from your system. This message may be confidential and may fall under the duty of non-disclosure. Any use by others than the intended addressee is prohibited. Trema shall not be liable for any damage related to the electronic transmission of this message, such as failure or delay of its delivery, interception or manipulation by third parties, or transmission of viruses or other malicious code.