[clug-talk] Recycling Fees

Niels Voll nvoll at voho.com
Tue Jan 11 13:07:38 PST 2005

first of all - I'm impressed you actually took the time to think/write
about this in some more detail. So running for office is something you
should definitely consider. And I'm not kidding. It's good when people
who think and care about stuff run for office - even when they
subsequently have to amend their position somewhat because they become
more familiar with more of the realities involved.

However, if I was your campaign advisor, I'd want you to consider the
following issues for your campaign platform:

With prices of PC's dropping to sub $500, and thus becoming affordable
for many more people, adding a $100 recycling fee becomes a 20% price
increase and this would hurt the poorest people more than the richest.
Tough sell, when you're running for office.

Your system sounds much more complex, so your campaign opponent would
accuse you of creating "more government", more administration for
businesses and consumers (keeping receipts with serial numbers for 10
years is even longer than Revenue Canada requires - ouch!) - your system
sounds more complex to administer than the GST, and the GST (arguably)
killed an entire governing party ...

How is the recycling for kids better than recycling in general?
Recycling always implies a worthwhile use - managing worthwhile causes
in detail creates yet more government again ...

That being said, don't get me wrong, I don't find the government program
particularly intelligent either - but high level rules seldom are. Some
obvious questions are:

Why is a laptop taxed less?
* it costs more
* it includes both: a computer system and a monitor
* it is more difficult to disassemble into component parts (although
with integrated motherboards that difference is disappearing)

Why do this whole recycling fee thing so piecemeal - first tires, now
computers - what's next?

What's the difference between bringing in more and more of these
recycling fees and a PST? I wouldn't be surprised if many retailers will
use the PST field in their POS systems for the recycling fee. Come to
think of it, quite a brilliant marketing ploy by the government:
Replacing the word "taxes" with "fees" - pure marketing genius right up
there with a certain company using the word "innovation".

Can I avoid some recycling taxes by building my own system from parts?
Maybe that means tinkerers, who tend to waste less, are practically
"exempt" from this tax - a tax exemption for geeks? that would be kinda
cool  :)

So bottom line - I doubt, that it will make a dent into the waste
problem (it's probably just a tax grab with good marketing spin) - but I
admit I don't have a better answer to the waste creation problem in our
society (and our planet) either ...

...Niels