[clug-talk] SuSE 9.2, Dell D505 laptop, Intel 855G video install trouble

Curtis Rempel curtis at enigma-logic.ca
Tue Jan 11 04:43:37 PST 2005

I'm having trouble doing a graphical install on the above hardware.  The boot
splash screen comes up ok where I can choose Installation, Manual Installation,
etc, however, it gets very "blotchy" and the YaST menus are so dark as they
become unreadable.   The text is really rough also - obviously a video problem
of some sort.   I can boot fine with Knoppix 3.6 and Mandrake Move 9.2 no
problem so I can grab the X config I suppose that way.  I'm considering doing a
text install of SuSE 9.2 and then fiddling with the graphics after.

As far as I can tell, the Intel 855GM is supported for SuSE 9.2 in the hardware
database at cdb.suse.de using vendor Intel and category Graphics Cards.

I also see that Intel has some RPMs available at

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm?iid=graphics+852main&

but not sure if I need them or not.

Does anybody have any experience with SuSE on this hardware combo?  From
Googling, it seems others have got it to work and others are like me.  In the
meantime, I will give the text install a shot and see what I can come up with after.

Thanks!

Curtis