[clug-talk] [OT] Sait

Marcel A. Lecker volvox at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 6 22:42:30 PST 2005

I'd like to put my $0.02 in on this one.

The question I'd ask is what do you want to do at the end of the day
Giovanni? There are lots of situations where a degree is a good
investment and probably just as many where it is a bad one.

Doing good research in this regard involves

1./ Identify where you are now and where you want it to lead to in
fairly specific terms.

Think math here. Two points A (now) and B (goal). Connect them with a
line.

Anything that keeps you on course (eg linear progression toward B) is
good, anything that takes you off course is generally bad (unless you
have a really good game plan and know you can make it work over time).
Reality dictates that your next job will look a lot like your last job
unless you can somehow add value to yourself in the interim. Generally
the further off course you go the harder it is to get back on course.
Think vectors here.

2./ Research to see whether it is a reasonable assumption that 'A' will
naturally progress to 'B'. If not, identify both the skills and
education gaps.

4./ Next determine which employers will pay you money to do the thing
you want to do in B (goal).

5./ Talk to them and listen to them. (find out about information
interviewing if you haven't already done so and do it...lots of it, no
matter how uncomfortable the thought of it makes you feel - what's your
life worth?). They are the best people to talk to because they are the
ones paying real money for real skills. Again sound them out and use
this to identify gaps. If it looks like education, encourage them to be
more specific without leading them (eg don't ask "is ABC program a good
one?"). What you want is what _they_ recommend.

Done often enough, you should see patterns emerge. That will likely tell
you what you really want to know: "what course of action will best get
me to my goal?"

For example you might get a lot more mileage out of a project management
cert. at MRC than out of an applied degree depending on what you want to
do in the end.

Do yourself a favour and talk to the school last. By the time you talk
to them (if at all) you should know exactly what you want and why.

What a lot of people assume is that a degree/diploma is a magic bullet
when it really isn't.

Skills gaps are best addressed like Kevin mentioned (good comments BTW
Kevin), Education gaps are best addressed with school (good comments as
well Ian). The trick is identifying what kind of gap it is and how best
to fill it.

Like engineering anything, you need to gather your requirements first.
The better job you do with this the higher the likelihood of success.

Cheers, I hope it helps.

Marcel