[clug-talk] [OT] Sait

Cameron Nikitiuk cameron.nikitiuk at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 5 11:35:26 PST 2005

Kevin makes some good points, particularly about the benefit of skills
versus education.  But if I could let me add this.

I personally don't hold any (or very little) value in university education
for the simple fact that most courses tend to focus on theoretical knowledge
as opposed to hands-on application of what was learned.  I personally prefer
a trade or technical school like Mount Royal or Grant MacEwan in Edmonton.
The programs tend to be designed around teaching you what you need to know
but giving you hands-on projects to build those skills as well as helping
you develop a portfolio of projects that you can show off.

I have taken both types of edumacation and learnerizing styles and would
definitely recommend going the practical application route.  This gives you
advantage of actually using the skills that employers are looking for and
will benefit you more.  You may learn a little less than a university
education, but the practical experience will ultimately mean more.  Even if
you only get the basic skills, they offer a better foundation than "here
learn this topic and then we will go on to the next one in ten minutes."

My advice is to research, research and then do more research on the programs
you are looking at.  Look at a few of them side by side and look at the
"value" in them as opposed to the amount of courses.  Look for a program
that includes a practicum or some sort of onsite experience; talk to past
students for the program; talk to people that have hired people from that
program; talk to the instructors, etc.  You are paying for this
program...make sure you are getting full value.  If they don't give you
value in the classroom then steal the education from them.  Questions
questions questions and demand answers!  So ends my rant!!!