[clug-talk] Microsoft to Sue linux users

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Tue Nov 30 14:09:45 PST 2004

Incoming from Tom McLaughlin:

> From: s. keeling
> > Incoming from Jason Louie:

> > > Once again Microsoft flexes their muscles.  I see as propaganda to
> >
> > If anyone ever wanted a succinct definition of "FUD", this is it.  How
>
> Hey, don't blame the guy, laws of the jungle, the strongest survives.  While
> it sounds uncaring, it's just a fact of life.

Ah.  So what are all these cop cars all over the place if this is a
jungle?  Since this is a jungle, it must be alright for me to jump you
as you're leaving work tonight and steal your car.  Heck, I'll have your
wallet too, thanks.  Go ahead, try to stop me.  It's a jungle after all.

This is not a jungle.  This is civilization, and the civilized live by
certain laws, rules, ethical codes and a sense of morality.  "Take
what you can get if you can get away with it," is not one of those.
Unfortunately, that appears to be the way Gates and Microsoft work.
Why anyone puts up with it, I don't know, but your statements above
suggest the reason.

"All's fair in love and war" does not mean "All's fair everywhere."
It means love and war are _exceptions_ to the rule, and the rule is
_civilized conduct, please_.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -