[clug-talk] Too Many Mailing List Guidelines?

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Tue Nov 30 13:45:59 PST 2004

Incoming from Kin C Wong:
> [snip]
> amount of time for socialization.  When I want to focus on technical, both
> in receiving and giving, I don't want to wade through the other messages.

Most email programs can show you the list of messages waiting to be
read, along with a "paned" view; your mailbox in one window pane, list
of messages in another, and the contents of the current message in
still another.

Even Lookout! will let you turn off the last one (in fact, that was
basic security for a couple of notoriously insecure versions).  So do
so.  You're left with a list of:

     sender at address.tld           Subject that this mail's about.
     sender at address.tld           Subject that this mail's about.
     sender at address.tld           Subject that this mail's about.
     sender at address.tld           Subject that this mail's about.

Now, based on the Subject (and sender?), prioritize.  If you don't
care about computer games, just delete unread any mail mentioning it.
Don't care about php/perl/python/scheme/kde/gnome/...  ?  Delete them
unread.

As someone else mentioned, they're on the clug website in case you
change your mind.  Nobody ever signed on agreeing that they'd read
everything that comes through.   In fact, I've a couple of procmail
recipes that automatically delete certain mails.  Life's too short to
bother with that about which I don't care.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -