[clug-talk] Website Updates

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Mon Nov 29 22:54:04 PST 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 8:20 pm, Shawn wrote:
> Good work on the site Jarrod.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with some of the changes we have made of late.

> I have a thought that I'd like to present to the group for
> comments/discussion:

More than welcome...

> Your web interface provides a resource for anyone to submit a review of ANY
> book they may have picked up independently.  So, why not encourage people
> to submit a review of ANY Linux or open source related books - regardless
> of them being a Tier 2 member, and/or having gone through our process of
> getting a book for review?

Hmm, not a bad idea. I can tweak this so that the member number field is not
required.

> This would create a resource where someone who wants to pick up a book on a
> particular topic can look to see if there are any books that aren't so
> good, or others that seem to answer their every need.

Yup, this could be a good thing. The Book Review section is one that will see
some significant changes in the next version of the CLUG website. We are
going to incorporate a search function and some kind of easier navigation
through the reviews.

> I still agree with the Tier 2 membership to request a book from CLUG for
> the purpose of a review.  But as I look at my book shelf, I see a number of
> books that were not published by PTR or O'Reilly.  I'm sure other members
> have a similar type of collection.

A very valid point. Sybex is one I can think of off the top of my head. To be
honest both the O'Reilly banner and the Prentice Hall Banner cover a lot more
than just those books these days. Even I am surprised how much publishers are
stuck together these days.

> Also, may I suggest a subtle change to the web form?  If we had a separate
> text box for Title, Author(s), ISBN and rating (n stars out of 5), then we
> can maintain the suggested format of the reviews, and maybe create a
> searchable review database (in the long run).

I thought about breaking those items out into separate forms, maybe in the
next iteration of the form we might incorporate those items (especially if
the submission went to a database instead of being mailed to me) but for now
I just wanted to get a working form up and available. And it's herring not
stars... :D

- --
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: FA4A 1EA3 A0EE A842 07BB  804C 0090 14F6 BE6E DE3D
Registered Linux User: #224211