[clug-talk] Power Usage of PCs.

Kevin Anderson maillist at digital-adrenaline.com
Fri Nov 26 21:31:58 PST 2004

A couple of days ago there was some discussion about the amount of Power that
people's PCs are using.  Linux users seem to rarely take advantage of the
power saving features in newer monitors in particular.  I came across an
article tonight that's both brief, and easy to read, so I thought I'd pass it
along.  Apologies in advance to anyone with a slow connection.

It's also worth noting that hdparm can be used to set the spindown times on
your HDD/CD/DVDs.  It's a bit confusing, but I'll show it below, since we
really never did discuss the details of it all in the last thread.

hdparm -S180 /dev/hda

That tells the kernel to spindown my HDD after 15 mins.  The -S parameter is
measured in 5 second intervals which is annoying and confusing (IMHO).  So -S
12 would be a 1 minute spindown...  This can just be added
to /etc/conf.d/local.start (or whatever is appropriate for your distro) and
it will take effect immediately.  Normally the -S parameter would be in the
same line as the other Parameters for your drive.  IE: mine looks like
this...

hdparm -d1 -c1 -u1 -X69 -S180 /dev/hda
hdparm -d1 -c1 -u1 -X66 -S6 /dev/hdc

Repeat for each device, and note that it per device, not per partition...

Enjoy...
Kev.