[clug-talk] Wireless Router Suggestions

Kevin Anderson maillist at digital-adrenaline.com
Mon Nov 29 18:13:49 PST 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 16:25, Graham Monk wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 11:50, Evan Brown wrote:
> > I need something that will hand out connections to
> > vehicles as they drive into a fenced lot. Anyone have an ideas?
> >
> > Evan Brown
>
> I would suggest a directional antenae, Gotta ask, what are you
> up to?

I'm not sure if that'll work in this situation.  If the idea is that people in
the fenced lot are able to communicate, adn people outside the fenced lot are
not able to, I'd put an omni directional high up in the center, so it has
clear reception regardless of the vehicle you're next to.  Then, I'd trial
and error the power output and turn it as low as possible so that it reaches
the edge, but nothing more.  If the parking lot isn't square, then locate
additional antennas as needed to accomplish the same thing.

When I was playing with a directional, I found that it was EXTREMELY
directional.  It had a VERY small tolerance in terms of range.  So if it was
a directional, what would likely happen is that the person would drive in,
get their signal, and then continue forward 50 feet, and lose it.  Or, if it
was mounted low enough that moving forward didn't remove you from the angle,
then you'd lose communication as soon as you turned down a side lane, to find
a spot to park, or whatever.

Kev.