[clug-talk] Permissions for nfs share?

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Mon Nov 29 00:36:07 PST 2004

The UIDs need to match for both the server and the workstation.  For example,
on the server user abc has a UID of 1000 then on the workstation the user abc
must also have the same UID.  The UID is in the /etc/passwd file.  In the
following example the first 1000 is the UID, the second is the group (GID).

abc:x:1000:1000:ABC User,,,:/home/abc:/bin/bash

One simple method is to rsync the passwd/shadow files to keep the workstation
and server in sync, but for production you really want a centrally managed
user/pass system in place such as NIS, LDAP, etc.

Another caveat is that NFS trusts the network.  For example, it assumes that
the host 10.0.0.10 is really who it expects it to be.  A good (though
somewhat cumbersome for new *NIX users) is sfs found at http://www.fs.net

Finally, I am not sure about your distribution, but under Debian the nfs
server and client required quite a lot of tweaking to get good network
performance.

Hope this helps,
Gustin