[clug-talk] Home partition doesn't mount automatically?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sun Nov 28 21:10:20 PST 2004

I just noticed problem with one of my servers.  When I restart it, the /home
partition isn't getting mounted properly.  I've checked my fstab (see below),
but am not sure why this is happening.

Here's my fstab file:

/dev/hda1         /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/hda3         /               reiserfs        noatime,notail          0 0
/dev/hda2         none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/hda4         /home           reiserfs        noatime,notail          0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none               /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

I can manually mount the partition after reboot (mount /dev/hda4 /home), so I
don't think it's a problem with the partitions per se.  /boot and / both get
mounted fine...

Any tips are appreciated.