[clug-talk] Website Updates

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Nov 27 19:20:07 PST 2004

Good work on the site Jarrod.

I have a thought that I'd like to present to the group for
comments/discussion:

Your web interface provides a resource for anyone to submit a review of ANY
book they may have picked up independently.  So, why not encourage people to
submit a review of ANY Linux or open source related books - regardless of
them being a Tier 2 member, and/or having gone through our process of getting
a book for review?

This would create a resource where someone who wants to pick up a book on a
particular topic can look to see if there are any books that aren't so good,
or others that seem to answer their every need.

I still agree with the Tier 2 membership to request a book from CLUG for the
purpose of a review.  But as I look at my book shelf, I see a number of books
that were not published by PTR or O'Reilly.  I'm sure other members have a
similar type of collection.

Also, may I suggest a subtle change to the web form?  If we had a separate
text box for Title, Author(s), ISBN and rating (n stars out of 5), then we
can maintain the suggested format of the reviews, and maybe create a
searchable review database (in the long run).

Just a few thoughts...

Shawn