[clug-talk] File permissions: add but not modify/delete?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Nov 26 15:57:18 PST 2004

I still find Linux permissions to be somewhat of a black art, though I am
starting to get the hang of it...  That said, I'll take a shot at this one.

The first step would be to ensure the user has write permission, but not read.
The second would be to change the ownership of the file.

So, something like so on the directory in question:

chmod o+w directory
chmod o-r directory

(or use the digit values for the permissions - I always have to look them up
unless it's 755).

and then a chown on the directory as well.

I believe you might also be able to use umask here to accomplish what you're
after.

But, I'll defer to the gurus on the list, I'm sure I've missed something
here....

Shawn