[clug-talk] File permissions: add but not modify/delete?

Curtis Sloan curtis.sloan at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 26 14:51:50 PST 2004

I have a directory that I want group 'x' to be able to write to, but not
modify/delete existing files (yes, that would include files they just added).
I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell standard *nix permissions don't have
the flexibility to provide this functionality.  Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

If not, then I'm looking at using ACLs am I not?  In that case, I believe I
need the following (again, please correct me if I'm wrong):

1)  A filesystem which supports ACLs
 -I currently have ext3 and ReiserFS v3 filesystems
2)  A kernel w/ ACL support for the given filesystem
 -just a recompile away ;-)
3)  Userspace programs to modify ACLs
 -separate download or included in ext3/ReiserFS v3?

Now, my question would be, can I use an existing ext3 or ReiserFS v3
filesystem or do I need to reformat w/ a "--use-ACLs" type argument?  Or can
I just recompile my kernel w/ ACL support and use included userspace tools?

Thanks for your insights,
Curtis S.