[clug-talk] anyone have experience with Bacula?

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Mon Nov 22 10:26:46 PST 2004

I use backuppc to backup a variety of windows, linux, and BSD boxes.  It has a
web gui but all of the configuration is done inside of text files.  This is
however, a disk based backup utility.  I used to write its backups to tape
but with the cost of HDs these days, I now just use rsync to keep the backup
server's backup current.

My second choice is amanda, which is a tape based solution.  It can backup
unix hosts and windows machines via samba.

My first choice is backuppc because I can recover data more quickly and in a
more flexible manner (it has the added ability to generate zip and tar
archives which can be downloaded via the web gui).

Both packages can be found at sourceforge  but here are their urls:
backuppc.sourceforge.net
www.amanda.org

Cheers,
Gustin

--
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however a large
number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.