[clug-talk] Downloadable SuSE 9.2

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sat Nov 20 12:13:27 PST 2004

Yes.

TO use these files, you'll have to do what is known as an FTP install.
Basically, you tell the boot loader to install from a network source, and
where that source is.  Works great, but can take quite a bit of time.  I just
tried this last week and after an hour the initial kernel image still hadn't
been loaded into memory (though it WAS getting there).

On the Suse download page, they tell you the address for an FTP install.  Or
alternatively, you can download the entire FTP tree (5+ GB) to a local
computer then use that computer as your install source.

My own opinion is that it's faster to just acquire the installation disks,
then change your software source after the system is installed.

Shawn