[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Nick W nickw77 at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 20 09:30:07 PST 2004

On November 19, 2004 10:59 am, Shawn wrote:
> I saw the machine that Jason was trying his first install on.  I'm not
> surprised it took a long while.... <grins>
>
> I think we "Gentoo-ers" need to be a little careful when dealing with
> people who are having problems installing.  I don't say this because of any
> comments made, but rather one that hasn't been yet...  It might be me, but
> I am convinced that you do not really succeed with Gentoo until your third
> or fourth install of it.  If you already have a "low-level" background to
> understand all the configs, then this may not be true, but for the rest of
> us it'll take that many tries until you start to fully understand the
> system and learn what NOT to do.

Apologies if I came across rude, it was unintended. Gentoo is definately hard
to install the first couple of times, especially if you don't have a really
good grasp on certtain concepts. Thats why I said in another message Im
excited about the automated installer they're working on. I think if people
can have an easy installer that does a stage 3 in < an hour then uses that as
a platform to nicely [ie in the background] compile things as they go, more
people would give it a shot.

Then those that prefer the hard way can still do it from a Knoppix CD.

<snip>

Yay I remembered to kill the footer :D

Nick