[clug-talk] Slightly OT Power usage

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Nov 19 16:12:20 PST 2004

I fully agree.  The server that blew it's power supply was on a surge
protector - so should have been protected, but wasn't (obviously).  So, the
option was to spend $35+ for a good surge protector or for only $20 more, I
could get some battery backup as well (and an overall better surge protector
- not to mention the $50K warranty).

That's why I mentioned the 700VA ups I was planning on getting - my servers
SHOULD do a graceful shutdown in the event of power loss.  But, using a
journalized filesystem and the servers not being under heavy load lessens the
impact some.

Shawn