[clug-talk] Slightly OT Power usage

Niels Voll nvoll at voho.com
Fri Nov 19 15:36:15 PST 2004

I totally agree with Kevin - running, but sparsely used (CPU, disk,
etc.) computers are a very small power drag compared to light bulbs. And
I have the same experience as Kev with the new generation of compact
fluorescent light bulbs. So far, they are simply fabulous.

I don't know what the exact numbers would be, and they would be
different for every system, but there is a trade-off between booting x
times per day, and just leaving the machine on. i.e. one boot sequence
equates to x minutes/hours of the computer idling.

CRT Monitors can be a relatively large power drag, while they are on. So
it is very worthwhile to use the power save features on them.

A last comment about electricity costs in Calgary. Since de-regulation /
unbundling of those services, the bills have become much more complex,
but they are much more transparent about component costs (transportation
system costs vs. energy charges, etc.). If you look at your power bill,
you'll find that a significant portion of the total bill are fixed
charges. For example, they charge separately for the lines to your house
and the amount of electricity you use. So if you cut 20% of your total
power consumption, it does not mean that you will save 20% of your
electrical bill. Makes some sense, too, since the wiring to your house
is the same regardless of consumption and needs to be paid for, too.

...Niels