[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 19 10:05:35 PST 2004

> Don't get me wrong, Gentoo is a great system however to get the sucker
> installed took too much time and though enjoyable having the server up
> was more important than playing with the installation.

If you want to install gentoo as fast as possible, then just use the boot CD,
and copy it across to your HDD.  There's no immediate need to compile, and
the system will be running in less than an hour.

> I would love to get a Gentoo system running however resources are
> short, (time and money.)

As I've said before, Installing Gentoo on a semi-current machine shouldn't
take any longer than installing anything else, once you include
downloading/burning/etc time.  Your best bet is to do a stage 3 install, and
use the automated tool to build the kernel.  It's done quick, and generally
pretty good, at the cost of some optimizations that don't matter a WHOLE lot
anyway.

Kev.