[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 19 09:59:57 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:15, Jason Louie wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:55:23 -0700, Niels Voll <nvoll at voho.com> wrote:
> > wow - you Gentoo guys have patience fit for a saint !
> >
> > ...Niels
>
> I'd agree.  My first and only experience with Gentoo was over a year
> ago.  Before that I've used RedHat6.x-7.x and Mandrake8-9.  I was
> installing on a P200 with 128mb ram.  I wanted optimize what I could
> so thus Gentoo was my descision.  Even with the beautiful
> documentation Gentoo had I still had some small issues with the
> install... nothing I couldn't handle, (but I found it odd where the
> installation would fail at diffrent places each time).  However the
> thing that got me was that after a month of install Gentoo I still
> didn't have a working web server, (a month of spending 1 - 2 hours
> almost every night.)  After a month I finially got fed up and decided
> to give another distro a whirl.  Out came the SuSE FTP install and
> having never tried SuSE before it took me less than 1/2 hour to have a
> functional webserver with very few unneeded packages installed.  I
> have since moved to Debian, (debootstrap install via knoppix.)
>
> My thoughts on Gentoo is that the system would be very nice on a fast
> machine but on a slower machine, (the machines that need the speed
> optimization,) it takes *WAY* too much time to install.
>
> I might try Gentoo again down the road but only when installs would be
> less painful.

Just do a stage 3 install.  Stage 1 is overkill in 99% of cases.  That'll cut
the install to about 1-2 hours without cutting the learning aspect at all.
Then install xorg, and kde from packages.  (if you need them).

You can go back an optimize for your specific machine after it's already up
and running by emerging the packages you already have.  Besides, there are
better places to find benefits than gentoo's customized for your machine.
Don't get me wrong, that's all cool and everything, but the difference is
getting smaller all the time.  prelinking KDE
( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml) makes a bigger difference
than any optimization I've ever seen from cflags or anything like that.  I
find the use flags to be a bigger benefit by far.

Kev.