[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Nov 19 09:59:07 PST 2004

I saw the machine that Jason was trying his first install on.  I'm not
surprised it took a long while.... <grins>

I think we "Gentoo-ers" need to be a little careful when dealing with people
who are having problems installing.  I don't say this because of any comments
made, but rather one that hasn't been yet...  It might be me, but I am
convinced that you do not really succeed with Gentoo until your third or
fourth install of it.  If you already have a "low-level" background to
understand all the configs, then this may not be true, but for the rest of us
it'll take that many tries until you start to fully understand the system and
learn what NOT to do.

Where possible, I prefer to do a stage 1 install, but in a pinch I'll do a
stage 3, then emerge world after I have the core requirements for the server
in place.  Even then, a stage 3 install still takes me roughly a day to do
(on PII-400's, without distcc, and without using the LiveCD kernel).

My thoughts...

Shawn