[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 19 09:53:15 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 09:17, Ian Bruseker wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:35:02 -0700, Niels Voll <nvoll at voho.com> wrote:
> > I'm curious - how long did the whole process and up taking?
>
> Kevin is running on a far more powerful machine than I am.  :-)  I'm

Only at work.  I'd love one at home, but I'm too cheap to shell out for
it.  :)

> using a Celeron 700 MHz with 512 MB RAM.  I started emerge system

My experience at home is that a celeron will more than double the compile time
against the same clock speed P3/4.

> before going to bed one night, it was done when I got up in the
> morning, so no more than 8 hours.  A clean kernel compile took about
> 25 minutes.  X (X.org version) took around 3 or 4 hours if I remember
> correctly, but here's where I learned my first lesson about thinking
> ahead in what you compile.  I compiled 6.8.0 on its own, then realised
> I needed ati-drivers, but it turns out ati-drivers only works with
> 6.7.0 so it had to downgrade and recompile the older X before
> installing the drivers.  Oops.  :-)  Oh well.  As for KDE, I've been
> doing that in parts (rather than just "emerge kde", since I never use
> things like kdeedu, for example).  kdelibs and kdebase I did in one
> emerge, they took around 16 hours (they sucked in a number of
> dependancies too, but those two were the two heaviest compiles).
> kdepim took around 4 or 5, kdenetwork I'm not sure about because I
> went to bed but at least 3 hours.  I'm still going - this morning I
> started kdeaddons and kdeadmin, which have been going for about an
> hour now.

If you have other boxes around, you should look at distcc.  That will HUGELY
speed things up for you.  Generally this only matters at install time.  You
can run it from a gentoo boot CD if your other boxes are running some other
OS.  You'll find a howto on Gentoo's site at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

Enjoy.

Kev.