[clug-talk] Website Changes

Niels Voll nvoll at voho.com
Fri Nov 19 02:37:17 PST 2004

Pete wrote

> I made it as simple as this :

> <head>
>  <script>
>    function displayMail(doc, prefix, display) {
>    doc.write("<a href=\"mailto:" + prefix + "@" + "mydomain.com\">" +
> display + "</a>");
> }
>  </script>
> </head>
> "e-mail")</script> me...</p>
>
> Works for me...
>
> Pete

Simple and sweet - for javascript capable browsers, which probably
covers most visitors to many sites; and text browsing "uebergeeks" can
probably figure out the email address by viewing the html source. So
this strikes me as quite effective for many situations.

An additional technique I've used for allowing email from a web page is
to create and use a special throw-away address, which aliases or
forwards to my real address. Since this special address is really only
meant to make initial contact, I can safely replace it with another one,
once spam gets to be a problem on the first one. People who make contact
this way, then get a reply from me with my real email.

...Niels