[clug-talk] Microsoft to Sue linux users

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Thu Nov 18 13:35:10 PST 2004

Incoming from Shawn:
> Ballmer had a discrepancy in the math - I think the number was supposed to be
> 283 patents.  But, out of all the (potentially) infringing patents, maybe MS
> isn't counting the ones they own?  Or maybe they are only concerned about the
> ones they DO own?

The point of "FUD" is not whether Linux infringes any patents.  It's
whether Ballmer, et al, can convince prospective users that it
infringes patents, thereby keeping any prospective users from trying
it in the first place.

If you read the article, Ballmer's not talking about Microsoft owned
patents.  He's counting on _someone_ out there owning patents that
Linux might infringe on.  If Microsoft et al manage to tilt the
playing field by getting the WTO to support software patents, that'll
be gravy.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -