[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:57:34 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:34:01 -0700, Jason Louie <jason.k.louie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I;m not saying I don't like getting my hands dirty, its like
> building your own coffee table,) it will take longer to make but the
> end result is so much more satisfying.  What I am saying is that for
> something simple the process took way too long and comparing the
> compiling time required to get system up with the uptime provided with
> a prepackaged distro, I took the prepackaged distro.  As the cliche
> goes time is money and a month to get a simple webserver running was
> too much time for me.

I had a really long reply to Neils' "patience of a saint" comment, but
over lunch everyone else replied and voiced all the thoughts I had, so
no need to rehash it.  I came to a similar conclusion as the coffee
table, but my analogy was a bonzai tree.  Long time to get it right,
but think of everything you learned along the way.  :-)

You're right, Gentoo might not be the best for a system you need up
right now (though if it's that critical, you probably dropped some
cash into hardware, so compile times shouldn't be as big an argument),
but for me, this is all about the learning experience and getting my
hands dirty.  It's my home system (and not the only computer I own, so
it's not like I've lost all computer use while waiting for it to
finish), so I'm taking the time to grow my tree and see where it takes
me.

Ian