[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Jason Louie jason.k.louie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:48:43 PST 2004

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:38:23 -0700, Kevin Anderson
> To pick on RH though, here's a comparison.  If you install RH 8 or 9, how much
> time commitment is there to move to FC3?  With gentoo I remotely type in
> emerge -up world, and it's done for me when I get back.  Keep in mind, you
> need to either go and purchase the CDs, or download them.  And that's time
> too.  Suse is better in that regard, because it's just a 25 meg download.
> It's all in how you look at it.
>
> Kev.

Yes I agree RH/FC is quite lacking from the version to version
upgrades.  I really feel that one should only install once and update
from there on.  Debian and Gentoo are nice in that way.  However yum
and apt-get, (for RPM) make the upgrading less painful.  So I would
say the upgrading wouldn't be that different maintainence wise
comparing to upgrading Gentoo, (until the next RH/FC version comes out
then things can get messy).

All in all the whole thing boils down to each distro has its strengths
and weaknesses.  No distro is perfect for everyone.  Upgrading and
installing falls into these categories.