[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Jason Louie jason.k.louie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:34:01 PST 2004

Now I;m not saying I don't like getting my hands dirty, its like
building your own coffee table,) it will take longer to make but the
end result is so much more satisfying.  What I am saying is that for
something simple the process took way too long and comparing the
compiling time required to get system up with the uptime provided with
a prepackaged distro, I took the prepackaged distro.  As the cliche
goes time is money and a month to get a simple webserver running was
too much time for me.

Now I would hardly say that other distro installers are yes/no
installers.  Sure you can do that but you can also customize things
also with selecting certain packages.

Don't get me wrong, Gentoo is a great system however to get the sucker
installed took too much time and though enjoyable having the server up
was more important than playing with the installation.

I would love to get a Gentoo system running however resources are
short, (time and money.)

I know there are many Gentoo fans out there and I'm not trying to put
it down.  I just merly want to offer my observations with my
experience with the distro.