[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 18 11:21:15 PST 2004

On November 18, 2004 10:55, Niels Voll wrote:
> wow - you Gentoo guys have patience fit for a saint !

<crystal-ball>
In 5 years time:

The system that I'm on now will be considered slow, and it can configure and
compile all of Qt from scratch in <15 mins.

Portage-like systems will have a nice GUI on them to make managing it a lot
easier. If you've seen arKollon, you've seen the beginning of this part of
the future. They will also have gpg signing and other nice features long
since nailed down, putting them on par with binary distribution for security
and ahead of them for flexibility.

Distributed build systems such as icecream (which is an "auto distcc with cool
GUIs") will be common place and also be secured (right now they follow an
"inherently trusted" model much like we did with .hosts files back in the
80s). These distributed build systems allow the creation of ad-hoc networks
of machines for building (we did this at aKademy, for instance) with zero
intervention from the user (other than to say "Join the network").

Broadband will only continue to get broader and software mirrors will only
continue to proliferate and get closer to home as disk and bandwidth both
become cheaper.

"Known builds" or "Verified configurations" that conform to the LSB (and/or
its succesor) will become available via Portage-like systems so ISVs can
validate systems by software fingerprint rather than "the version number on
the side of a box that tech support can't see anyways."

All these things in combination would provide a system that is as fast as
binary builds, as secure as apt/yum/YAST/urpmi, as flexible as ./configure &&
make && make install, as easy to use as any other graphical software
installer and nice for ISVs.
</crystal-ball>

i'm not saying the future is Gentoo. i don't think it is, to be honest, due to
the userbase that doesn't particularly care much about many of the above
items. but it will likely be a source-based system that looks like or is even
based on Portage that has corporate/government involvement.

we're still a few years off from the technological horsepower (CPU, disk,
bandwidth) and software systems (system fingerprinting, proper GPG signing,
trusted distributed builds, etc) but it seems we're headed there.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric