[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Thu Nov 18 10:38:23 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 10:55, Niels Voll wrote:
> wow - you Gentoo guys have patience fit for a saint !

Really?  I've moved from Gentoo's distro circa 2001 to their current 2004.3 on
half a dozen boxes without even being present.  There'an emerge -U world
command in Cron that keeps them current all the time.

Gentoo is an ugly, long install.  I'd be the last to argue it.  And most
gentoo people agree with that.  I know that there is some automated tool to
simplify it, but I've never tried it.  It can be made FAR faster by using a
stage 3 install, and faster still by copying the kernel from the bootable CD
(along with modules) over.  Then you can install X, KDE, etc from binary
packages.  But I just don't.  It's easy enough to do overnight.

Once Gentoo is in though, the upgrades are easy.  I only do the install once.

To pick on RH though, here's a comparison.  If you install RH 8 or 9, how much
time commitment is there to move to FC3?  With gentoo I remotely type in
emerge -up world, and it's done for me when I get back.  Keep in mind, you
need to either go and purchase the CDs, or download them.  And that's time
too.  Suse is better in that regard, because it's just a 25 meg download.
It's all in how you look at it.

Kev.